SAVANNAH RED RICE
Recipe courtesy Chef Joe Randall
- - from the Bobby Flay Food Nation show on FoodTV network.
- - with modification by Steve
Vegetable cooking oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups of celery, diced
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups long-grain white rice
1 can (14 1/2 oz size) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 can (6 oz size) tomato paste
1 can (10 oz size) regular or mild Rotel (option to kick it up a notch)
1 can (14 1/2 oz size) chicken broth
ground black pepper to taste
1 1/2 to 2 pounds sliced link sausage
. . . . (Suggest Eckrich skinless extra tender smoked sausage with turkey, pork, & beef )
Be bold, substitute chicken or shrimp or add either or add both.
- Heat a large skillet or saucepan with bottom covered in layer of cooking oil.
- Add the red and green peppers, celery, onion, and garlic to pan. Mix thoroughly and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir, coating the rice with the cooking oil and vegetable mixture for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, Rotel, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, add sausage, and stir. (If adding precooked chicken or shrimp, add later to avoid overcooking these items.)
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
Yield: 6 servings including (a great leftover meal too).